SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
NOVEMBER 3 & NOVEMBER 4TH, 2021
Why the Sacrament of Confirmation? Prior to his ascension into heaven, Jesus told his
apostles that he would send them the Holy Spirit to be their advocate and guide, and on
the Feast of Pentecost, the promised gift of the Holy Spirit fell on the apostles and the
Virgin Mary as they prayed in the Upper Room, empowering them to be witnesses of Jesus
in the world. “The Sacrament of Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament
which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation,
incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us
more closely with her mission, and help us to bear witness to the Christian faith in words
accompanied by deeds.” (CCC 1316) “Confirmation, like Baptism, imprints a spiritual mark
or indelible character on the Christian’s soul; for this reason one can receive this
sacrament only once in one’s life.” (CCC 1317)
I. Confirmation and Rehearsal schedule
REHERSAL & CONFIRMATION schedule click here: CEREMONY INFO 2021
II. Parent’s Meeting
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2021 Time: 6.00-7:00pm in Church
Following catechists: Mrs. Clarkson, Mrs. Grassi, Mrs. Kramarcy, Mr. Oliva, Mr. VonRunnen, Mrs. Celiberti
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2021 Time: 6:00-7:00pm in Church
Following catechists: Mrs. Kelly, Mrs. Stevens, Mrs. Sebbesse, Mrs. Combs, Mrs. Reimann
Major topics on the meeting: Presentations (classes) for students in October 4 & 5, 2021, Retreat for Confirmation students October 18 & 19, Rehearsal in church in October 25 & 26, Sacrament of Confirmation and others: number of guest, attire, etc.
III. About sponsor:
Role of the sponsor:
The primary responsibility of the sponsor is to provide the candidate prayerful support and guidance in his or her Christian walk and to “take care that the confirmed person behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations inherent in this sacrament” (canon 892). Being a sponsor is a lifelong commitment. A sponsor takes on the role of a spiritual parent who “brings the candidate to receive the sacrament, presents him to the minister for the anointing, and will later help him to fulfill his baptismal promises faithfully under the influence of the Holy Spirit” (Rite of Confirmation 5).
What are the requirements of the Church for being a Confirmation sponsor?
- A sponsor must be someone other than the parent of the one to be confirmed.
- A sponsor must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Eucharist.
- A sponsor must be at least 16 years of age and may be male or female regardless of the sex of the candidate.
- A sponsor must be leading a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken; therefore, if married, must be married in the Church and if single, must be striving to live a chaste life and therefore cannot be living with a person outside of marriage.
- A sponsor must be a practicing Catholic, registered in a parish, who regularly attends Mass on Sundays and Holy Days and receives the Holy Eucharist.
Sponsor responsibilities: https://www.catholic.com/qa/responsibilities-of-a-confirmation-sponsor
Sponsor must be present for the Celebration of the Sacrament. However, sponsor who is not able to attend ceremony may be represented by a proxy, however proxy must also meet the criteria: (at least 16, received sacrament of Baptism Eucharist and Confirmation)
IV. General info about rehearsal and ceremony of the sacrament of Confirmation:
- Rehearsal: only the sponsor and the confirmandi (in case the sponsor can not come, one of the parents can represent the sponsor)
- Gowns will be distributed on the day of rehearsal.
- Please enter the church through the main door (rehearsal and ceremony).
- Day of the Sacrament: please come to the church 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. Every candidate will receive sticker with confirmation name
Christopher Gospodarzec, Director of Faith Formation
tel. 516-785-2333 ext. 204